What Does A Dentist Do
Great careers in dentistry await you due to the high demand of qualified individuals needed to fulfill dentist jobs. Everyone notices a great smile and there are various dental programs across the country to choose from. Attending a dental assistant school is one way to begin your career path in the field. If one day you want to open your own dental practice and begin earning a dentist salary, you will have to put in the extra work and effort that comes with the title.
Responsibilities of a dentist is to remove tooth decay, fill cavities, and repair fractured teeth. Dentists are expected to diagnose and treat problems with a patient's teeth, gums, and related parts of the mouth. They provide professional advise and instruction on taking care of teeth and gums and recommend diet choices that promote positive oral health. Dentists are also involved in the prevention of dental disease through scaling, cleaning, application of fluoride, and use of other pharmaceutical interventions. Dentists are responsible for restoring teeth that are decayed or damaged and replacing lost teeth through dentures, implants, or crowns.
Below is a list of some of the fields of dentistry that may interest you.
Fields Of Dentistry
- Private practice - partner with other dentists and share responsibilities or own your own practice
- Academic dentistry -combine teaching, research, community service, and patient care working in a learning environment
- Public health dentistry - community setting instead of private practice to promote dental health and develop new health policies
- Research - generate new knowledge through studies and scientific discoveries that impact patient care
- International health care - volunteer and work abroad for agencies such as the United nations to bring dentistry aid to those in need
- Hospital dentistry - treat patients with medical conditions alongside physician colleagues in operating rooms and emergency rooms
- Cosmetic dentists - create positive change to teeth and smiles through color correction and replacing missing teeth
- Orthodontist - specialize in jaw alignments and moving teeth through braces, headgear, retainers, and other methods
- Periodontist - cares for health of gums and may perform cosmetic treatments or provide dental implants
- Oral surgeon - treat conditions such as cleft lip, jaw growth problems, and emergency treatment of facial injuries
Claim your free extended preview of "So You Wanna Be A Doctor" today!
- Experience day to day residency life alongside actual students, residents, and doctors.
- Learn how to overcome life's sudden and unforeseen setbacks.
- Evaluate whether you still wanna be a doctor after reading the real-life stories of others.
- Prepare for obstacles you will encounter along this career path into the medical profession.